Did you know that there are actual health benefits for practicing gratitude? Studies have shown how the regular practice of gratitude can improve our physical and psychological health. People who practice gratitude are known to sleep better. Are you looking for ways to improve your quality of life? May I suggest you begin with a regular gratitude practice?
Maybe you know all this but you are wondering "how can I actually practice gratitude?" Listen below are 5 suggestions that may help you on our gratitude journey. Maybe a couple of them will speak to you and light that spark to begin acknowledging what you are grateful for.
1. Gratitude Journaling - A couple of years ago I purchased a gratitude journal. Each day it gives you a place to write 3 things you are grateful for that day. Don't have a gratitude journal? No problem - grab a notebook. Easy peasy. I like it!
2. Gratitude Mapping - Create a "vision" board of things that you are grateful for. Then place it somewhere that you will see it. Take the time to really look at it.
3. Gratitude Jar - Have a jar and small pieces of paper and a pen nearby. Whenever something good happens join it down on the slip of paper and place it in the jar. It's always fun at the end of the year to go thru your papers and remember the things you wrote down.
4. Meditation and/or Prayer - Make meditation and prayer a part of your gratitude practice. When you wake up and before you hop out of bed take a few moments to reflect on what you are grateful for. You can also do this at the end of the day as a way of unwinding. If I have trouble falling asleep I often count my blessings. It's way better than counting sheep!
5. Serve - When we help others it reminds us of all we've been blessed with. It can get us out of our head and into a space of love and friendship. You don't have to volunteer to pack someones whole house! Maybe you can just offer to go over for 30 minutes to help someone in need. How about just sending a text to someone to let them know you are thinking of them? I love having various greeting cards that I can send when I feel an urge. Having them at your fingertips vs having to go to the store to pick one out can help make sure they really get sent. The next time you go to your dollar store pick up a variety of cards so that you have them when you are feeling a nudge.